Skip to content

Reason Why I’m Single #117 – My Bedtime Routine

November 2, 2011

Do you want to know single best part about being single? The fact that I get to be completely disgusted by my own personal grooming habits. I mean, honestly, being single is the greatest thing that ever happened to my hygiene. Really though, I’m more moisturized, deep-conditioned, exfoliated, and manicured than I have ever been in my life.

Collectively, I spend way more time than I’d like to publicly admit getting ready for bed than I ever did in a relationship. I wear more product on my face to bed than I do during the day, which I’m sure my peers don’t really appreciate. First, there’s the whole brushing your teeth thing, and then a little mouthwash just because I’m weird and I like to see how long I can take the intensity for. Then, of course, I wash my face, and depending on how tired I am, that may or may not involve using a various tools for preening designed by skincare corporations who prey on my vulnerabilities when it comes to my troublesome 20-something skin. Then there’s a topical treatment my dermatologist swears by for the sensitive skin around my eyes, and of course,  follow up with a normal p.m. moisturizer. Top it off with the Proactive spot treatment for pimples that shouldn’t even be on my face to begin with, and a Tea Tree Oil lip balm, both of which, smell worse than they sound (which is saying a lot), but work wonders. Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and think to myself, It’s a good thing there’s no one to crawl into bed with to be absolutely repulsed by me right now.

It’s not that I enjoy being high-maintenance, it’s just that if I have the extra time on my hands to deep condition my hair, or slip my body-butter coated feet into socks before bedtime, then why not? I mean, let’s face it, there are certain traits of single life that are absolutely repulsive and yet so exceptionally wonderful. It’s a little vapid, but I’m not losing sight of the important things in life, I’m still acknowledging those things, I’m just doing it with freshly painted nails and a post-exfoliation glow.

It’s amazing all the disgusting things I do to appear more attractive…

About these ads
11 Comments leave one →
  1. November 3, 2011 12:01 am

its so funny how embarrassed i was to do this stuff when i was with my last bf…and never realized it! this past sunday, i hung out with my brother and his gf watching tv with a deep cond. treatment in my hair and a blue face mask thing AND i was in a robe. haha. great night.

• November 3, 2011 9:40 am

So true! The best nights start with a deep conditioning hair treatment…and television.

2. November 3, 2011 6:54 am

Is it bad that I do these things before crawling into be with by boyfriend? He’s says Proactiv is my “smell.” And I’m not exactly sure if that’s a compliment…

3. November 3, 2011 10:04 am

The Proactiv spot treatment really works so I say keep at it. You’re not the only weird one. I try to see how long I can stand the powers of Listerine as well. Nights when I’m home alone are the best. Face masks, thick socks, robes… it screams single cat lady.

• November 4, 2011 10:09 am

And…single cat lady is exactly what everybody loves to scream because whether you’d like to admit it or not, every single person knows some who is the “single cat lady.”…failure on their part…and achievement on our part for not being that person.

• November 17, 2011 8:28 am

I’m a ““single cat lady.”…”???? I’m a single lady of 51 years old, and I have 2 cats. Is that so terrible? Should people feel sorry for me or something???? Is that a failure on my part????
        I chose – and still choose – being single for various reasons, love my cats and I do not have to give up freedom to come & go, or stay at home in my pyjama.

By the way, I loved this post again.

• November 17, 2011 11:15 am

Gone witcha bad self! I love this! If you love your cats, and your cats love you, awesome! Thats more love than most will experience in their lifetimes!

• November 22, 2011 8:26 am

(Sorry, what does it mean “Gone witcha bad self!”? English is not my mother tongue)
        Apart from loving my cats and being love by them, I also have friends, had boy friends in the past, and still have someone around.
        But I prefer to remain single.

• November 22, 2011 11:01 am

Haha, I’m not exactly sure how to translate that!! I guess it means go ahead and be who you are!

4. November 15, 2011 1:01 am

I can relate!! ;D nice post!